Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Shiver

It's one thing to choose between tangibles. 
Should I wear green or purple today?  Flats or boots? 
Should I encourage Grace to continue dance?  Emily horse back riding?  These choices come with responsibilities, repercussions...but I am involved in the ebb and flow of the circumstances and interactions and emotions of the decisions, even if I cannot control the final outcome.
But if I think about it for more than a minute...I realize so many of the things that I "decide" have been in preparation long before my awareness or involvement.  God's sovereign hand has been at work, preparing, bringing things into alignment.  And so my choice comes in after I have already been traveling the road for some time.
Unless...well, what if...I know I shouldn't say such things...it seems I must be offending someone by doing so...but well...
What if God decided to give you a choice before you were on the path.  Way before you could possibly know from your own sense of things what was happening, maybe because those things hadn't even happened yet.  
What if God laid out paths before your feet and gave you a choice...a limited choice...but still, there it was before you, a choice between two very different roads, or maybe more. 
And what if...it was up to you to choose.  And your decision would drastically change the course of not only your own life, but others too.  And what if there were no guarantees...
The truth is, we make those choices all the time.  Maybe every day...but most of the time we do it blind, and we don't see the result of our decisions. 
But what if...we could see. 
And we had to choose knowing some of the ramifications of our choice. 
And what if we were very afraid of that choice... 
So very afraid of the possibility that it might actually come to be...
And it might mean that it changes EVERYTHING.
And what if we weren't so afraid that we did it anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment