Thursday, November 25, 2010

Powells

There is not a bookstore anywhere like it.  It covers the whole city block-- five stories high--and carries new and used books.  I like the used ones because they're cheaper.  Then I found out I could have them shipped from Portland to PA for a small flat fee. 
I spent 3 hours in the theology section before heading over to poetry.  I found a couple gems--a compilation of Jim Elliot's Journals, a few books by Ryken and Boyd.  I loved the thought of buying books written by two theologians who might not want to have lunch together.  I think I'll put them next to each other on my shelf, maybe they can sort out their differences, or at least learn something from each other. 
I prayed for a book--just one--that I would know I was to read.  A gift.  Something that would be exactly what I needed.  In that three hour period, there was only one moment I had a sense--though I wasn't sure I trusted it--that the shelf that I was looking through held the book.  I said it out loud, "I think my book is going to be on this shelf." 
Less than a minute later I pulled it out, looked at the title and knew when I held it in my hands that it was the one,  that it was time for this lesson, for this chapter in my life. 
The charge from years back whispered to life in my ear.
"Run with the horses."

Here's a excerpt from Chapter 1:
Something very different takes place in the life of faith: each person discovers all the elements of a unique and original adventure. We are prevented from following in another person's footsteps and are called to an incomparable association with Christ. The Bible makes it clear that every time there is a story of faith, it is completely original.  God's creative genius is endless...Each life is a fresh canvas on which he uses lines and colors, shades and lights, textures and proportions that he has never used before...And we see how it is possible: by plunging into a life of faith, participating in what God initiates in each life, exploring what God is doing in each event.  The persons we meet on the pages of Scripture are remarkable for the intensity with which they live Godward, the thoroughness in which all the details of their lives are included in God's word to them, in God's action in them.  It is these persons who are conscious of participating in what God is saying and doing that are most human, most alive.

"So Jeremiah, if you're worn out in this footrace with men, what makes you think you can race against horses?  And if you can't keep your wits during times of calm, what's going to happen when troubles break loose like the Jordan in flood?" (Jeremiah 12:5)

The response when it came was not verbal, but biographical.  His life became his answer, "I'll run with the horses."  Eugene H. Peterson

I hope my life is my answer too.

No comments:

Post a Comment